In 1920 a Mr W.G. Bagnall of Lansing, Michigan, U.S.A. came over to London as a representative of Lansing who manufactured electric platform trucks in America. By 1930 Lansing in the U.S.A. had ceased making trucks and tractors so Mr Bagnall decided to manufacture them in Britain and in 1937 started his own firm Lansing Bagnall Limited in Isleworth, near London. Unfortunately the Second World War broke out in 1939 and the market for such products was hit and the firm went into bankruptcy. In 1943, Emmanuel Kaye and John Sharp who, as J E Shay Ltd, had a business at Mortlake, Surrey making precision gauges, tools and instruments bought the firm and Mr Bagnall retired soon after. When the war ended in 1945 business started to pick up and new premises were sought to allow increased production. In 1946 negotiations began with Basingstoke Council and the Ministry of works to allow the company, by then called Lansing Bagnall and Shay's, to move to newly acquired land at Merton Farm. The firm moved into the new premises in 1949 and they continued to expand including the addition of a three-storey office block in 1962, the construction of a new 100,000sqft factory, and the construction of a parts and service division building in 1973 large enough to house two jumbo jet aeroplanes. Another factory was also erected at the Daneshill estate for truck accessories. By 1963 some 1,500 people were being employed by the firm. John Sharp died while travelling back from a business trip in South Africa by aeroplane in April 1965 and in 1989 Sir Emmanuel Kaye sold his firm Lansing Bagnall to the German firm Linde. The name Lansing Linde was used for a while but the Lansing name was dropped in 2003. Linde still have a presence in Basingstoke.
Hampshire Culture Trust care for a collection of over 1300 photographs of the company, its employees and products. The Trust also has a few Lansing Bagnall trucks, some of which can be seen at the Milestones Living History Museum in Basingstoke along with some lawnmowers by Shay.