In 1607 Sir James Deane left money to build the eight almshouses which still stand at the eastern end of London Street. At a time when most buildings were still being constructed with timber frames and wattle and daub infill panels, the brick built almshouses must have provided surprisingly modern and comfortable accommodation for their first residents. However, although the external walls are of brick the walls which divide the houses are timber framed in the old tradition.
The almshouses are now listed buildings but still fulfil their original function. They are administered by the trustees of the Basingstoke Charities, who are currently preparing to celebrate the four hundredth anniversary of their completion which falls next year.
One of the pollarded lime trees on the London Street frontage was removed some years ago but the remainder are still going strong. The original railings were removed during the Second World War as part of the “War Effort”, and were only reinstated by the Council a few years ago as part of a new landscaping scheme for the area in front of the almshouses.